New year -Great start

                  Finally, for some real updates and progress. Around Christmas time 2010 I finally had the time to rent a trailer and tow the 240z to its new home and my second home away from home: Buddha Paint.


                           Wow does she look bad or what? In person, it's not that bad. I promise.


    So far I've purchased: a used driver side door, passenger fender, some interior pieces, and a replacement passenger side dogleg.

Since then I've actually made a lot of progress. I have plans to make one piece carbon fiber bumpers so first I need a plug for the mold. I used the stock bumpers since they were pretty rusted and the chrome was starting to chip off. The first thing I needed to do for the rear was to weld the three pieces together while they were bolted to the car and shaved all of the holes and openings. After that, I used body filler to give the final surface the perfect shape. Then went on a few coats of some left over single stage black paint. Some wet sanding and this is what we got:











                               My next update will be on the molds and maybe the carbon fiber.


   I also started body work on the drivers quarter panel. I shaved: the rear marker light, antenna, drip rails and bumper indent. While sanding down three different layers of paint I found a lot of old repairs. One repair included the use of body solder which indicated that the repair was probably done early in the cars life. Stud pullers, angle grinders, hammers and dolly's, everything was used for this section of the car. It got pretty messy. The sheet metal I used was mild steel 22 gauge and that matched perfectly with the quarter. The hardest part on this end was the drip rail. It had a fair amount of rust and since the drip rail is actually what bonds the roof and body together, I had to be very careful not to distort the panels anymore than they already are. So the solution was to do it in sections. About 6 inches at a time. This worked out great and made me feel a lot better since I got to do some more rust prevention under the roof edges.



 That's it for now I'll have to upload more pictures from the camera. Until then thanks for looking.


Comments